Everglow: Bon Bon Chocolat (Review)

Everglow recently came out with their debut song, Bon Bon Chocolat! This song comes on a single album with the tracks Moon and D+1, and it is Everglow’s first release. The group is under Yuehua Entertainment, a Chinese company. While Yuehua co-manages WJSN (Cosmic Girls) with Starship Entertainment (a Korean company), Everglow is the company’s first Korean girl group that they manage themselves.

Everglow is a 6 member group composed of E:U, Sihyeon, Mia, Onda, Aisha, and Yiren. Sihyeon was a contestant on Produce 101 season 1 as an individual trainee, and both Sihyeon and Yiren were on Produce 48 under Yuehua. The Produce series is an elimination show where contestants compete to become part of the final amount of people who will debut in a temporary group that will disband later as a launchpad for the careers of the members. Yena, the other Yuehua contestant on PD48, debuted in IZ*ONE (the final group from the series.) Some people are hoping she will join Everglow after IZ*ONE’s disbandment, like Yeonjung in IOI and then WJSN.

I think the album is great for a debut as it showcases many sides of the group, even though there are only three tracks. Bon Bon Chocolat, the title track, has a concept very similar to that of ITZY’s Dalla Dalla (although I much prefer Bon Bon Chocolat) and is a very catchy music video track. Moon, my personal favorite, has a somewhat slower style, but it is still fairly fun and catchy. It reminds me of Puzzle Moon by GWSN, especially in the chorus. D+1 is a ballad style track. While they sound very different I can’t help but think of D-1 by LOONA’s Yves (pronounced Eve) every time I see the title, and I kind of just wanted an excuse to throw that recommendation in there. On a more serious note, the song is really good and showcases their voices very well.